CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 24, 2009

developing perseverance

Transferred post

Saturday, February 21, 2009


I have been attending a Bible study on Monday nights for a while now. We are currently studying Jesus: his life, his purpose, his role as both God and man. We have been learning and discussing why those two roles are so important. As a man, he faced all of the same things we do. He was passionate. He was caring. He was also tempted. And I think that is very important to know. When faced with temptation in the desert, Jesus combatted Satan with the Word. He didn't have to defend himself in any other way. That was it. The Word of God was sufficient in defending the blows that satan was HOPING to land. And Jesus was not in the best shape. He had been in the desert for forty days and forty nights, without food and water, he was fasting. This fast was immediately after his baptism. He had just been baptized, as a human. After the baptism, he got affirmation from his Father. "This is my son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased". (Matthew 3:17). This is also important to know. This was a huge spiritual event in Jesus' life. And so Jesus was in the desert, hungry, weak and fully man when Satan approached him and offered him a range of things that would sound very appealing to the flesh, the human Jesus. And Jesus retaliated with the word. I have found often in my own life, that Satan operates, with us, just like he did with Jesus in the desert. He waits for us to be on a "spiritual high", when we are most threatening to him, and then he attacks us. He is stealthy, manipulative and cunning. "Be self controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8) When we are living for this world and not for God, we are no threat to Satan. However, when we proclaim our faith in him, he sees this as very threatening, and he will do all he can to cause us to stumble, trip up. I have had a fabulous year so far. To date, I believe, 2009 has been my best year. It has offered hope, refreshed dreams, happiness and love. Some pretty monumental things have happened in only a short period of time. For that I am thankful. Satan is not. He is constantly trying to trip me up. So I will do what I know to do, by Jesus example. I will proclaim the Word, the Bible's living word, new as today as it was yesterday.I have hope, because the Lord says: "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..." Jeremiah 29:11I also know that ALL things will work out because he promises this: "And we know in all things God works for the good of those who have been called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28I know he planned me. "You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too lofty and wonderful for me to attain." Psalm 139:5-6 and also "My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in that secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, you saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:15-16I know that people who don't always have my best interest in mind, don't stop God from pursuing HIS best interest: "But Joseph said to them, 'Don't be afraid. Am I not in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives..." Genesis 50:19-20I know that those same people are acting under a different authority: "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" Ephesians 6:12And I know that I am a better person for having gone through each trial, tribulation and defeat. I have learned alot, about life, God and myself. I am a better mother, wife, daughter, friend and person because of each hurdle. My spiritual life is stronger. My marriage is stronger. My relationships are stronger. I am more focused on what is important and what is not. I am learning not to "sweat the small stuff" and learning to ask myself "Will this matter in ten years?". Sometimes I wonder if it will even matter in ten minutes. And sometimes it is hard to answer that question with an affirmative "NO" because things seem so big when they are in front of your face. But my God is bigger than anything that can be thrown at me. He's bigger than any insult. He's bigger than any problem. He is bigger than any lie. He is big enough to defend me. I am his. "Humble yourself before the Lord and he will lift you up" James 4:10"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

0 comments: