CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Right to Life

A little over 11 years ago, when I was only 17, I found out I was pregnant. I had just quit high school. That is another story in itself. After telling my mom that I was pregnant, she sought the counsel of our pastor, Pastor Buddy Rampey. I met with him and we discussed a few things, and he asked if I would be open to going to talk to a counselor at the Greenboro Pregnancy Care Center (it was a different name then that I cannot for the life of me remember). I agreed and one morning he took me there.

The GPCC is a non-profit organization that counsels, helps and guides those that find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy. I really had no idea what to expect there, but what I found there was warmth. For one, it is not in a clinical type environment. It is in an older house right on the outside of downtown Greensboro. One of those older houses that is being used for commercial purposes like so many on that road. But by being in a house you didn't feel like you were going into a sterile, cold doctor's office. And it's not a doctor's office. I'm not even sure they have any doctor's there. What they do have is a lot of people that genuinely care about people: girls, women, boys, men - and the babies these people create. Notice I say "babies" because they believe life starts at conception. However, I never felt pressured to believe what they believe or to do as they desired me to do.

Now having said all of that, I was probably different than most cases that walk through their doors. Although I was young and pregnant, like many, I had never considered abortion. NEVER. I was raised in a church that valued the sanctity of life. I had stood on street curbs holding up signs saying as much. I also had the support of so many people. At the time, the baby's father and I were still together. I had my parents, who were not wild about their teenage daughter being pregnant, but were supportive nonetheless. And although at the time I went to GPCC no one from the church knew I was pregnant, I somehow knew that they would love me and love my baby no matter what. I believe that I was taken to GPCC to kind of air out my thoughts and feelings, concerns and fears, and possibly to consider adoption. But that really wasn't an option for me either. It is something I knew I couldn't emotionally do.

My son is now 10, almost 11. He is a wonderful, amazing, intelligent, caring, funny, awesome, soft hearted kid. He is the gift that God promised me he would be, as every child is.

I tell all of this, because it is the time of year for GPCC to have their fundraising walk. And I am a dingbat and can't remember if it's "walk for life" or "right to life walk". Whatever...not important. They use this fundraiser to get monies to keep their doors open. They are one of the few pregnancy care centers to offer ultrasound imaging to their clients. And of course, by seeing the life within, this drastically reduced the number of clients that leave and later have abortions elsewhere. They are trying to offer the latest technology to battle this war that started with Roe v. Wade.

I am confident that God is using this organization, these people, this house to reach people. And it's not all about saving the babies. Some of the women and girls that go into this place have no smiling faces, hugs, comfort or reassurance offered to them by anyone else. Having an unplanned pregnancy is scary. Having a warm smile and a kind word offered to you goes a long way.

I have placed a widget on the side of my blog with my fundraising info. Although the walk is this weekend, April 25, the donations will be accepted through July 25. You can click on the widget or go to http://www.firstgiving.com/reneerodriguez , and see my status, my fundraising goals, a picture of my beautiful son, Jared and other info. Whatever you can donate to this cause will go a long way. God has the power to turn any offering into a grand one. I'm sure the boy with the loaves of bread and the fish never would have thought his lunch would feed 5000 + people. But God has a way of stretching what we give to advance and glorify his kingdom.

I thank you in advance for whatever you are able to give.

0 comments: